German retailer Aldi decided to go with the good guys and promised to remove 8 pesticides from all the products in the US stores. Wonders will happen on January 1st.
This food chain is trying to build up a name as a health-focused supermarket. Low prices and healthy foods are the reason health-conscious people like to shop here.
Aldi is removing the following pesticides:
Aldi is gaining a nice reputation for its attitude towards chemicals and pesticides. People at Aldi have the intention to go a bit deeper in the thing, and improve their quality.
- They spread their network of organic food brands by offering gluten-free items and removing artificial stuff from the products;
- Aldi’s private-label products (about 90% of all products) are free from certified synthetic colors, partially hydrogenated oils, and MSG;
- Aldi sells more fresh and organic meat and produce; This includes the “Never Any!” brand of meat that is free from antibiotics, hormones, animal by-products and other nasty additives;
- The food chain have decided to expand the SimplyNature line, which has “lost” over 125 artificial ingredients, and their liveGfree brand products that do not contain gluten;
- Aldi milk does not contain artificial growth hormones, and so do their yoghurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, and other dairy;
- Aldi sells more high-end foods like artisan cheese, smoked salmon, quinoa, and coconut oil;
There are about 1,500 Aldi supermarkets in the US. Guess what? They are opening 500 more by 2018. Taking this into consideration, Aldi is becoming an absolute leader in health supermarkets.
According to Business Insider:
“The grocery chain is expanding organic-food brands, removing some artificial ingredients from its products, and adding more gluten-free items in hopes of attracting more health-conscious shoppers.”
Neonics are sort of systemic pesticides. These were largely used in the last 20 years, and farmers use this type of insecticide to control pests, including sap-feeding insects like aphids on cereals, and root-feeding grubs.