Sour cabbage is also known as sauerkraut. There are many health benefits of this vegetable, most of which have been proven. Most importantly, it can be beneficial in preventing heart attack, stroke and cancer. It can also help in improving your digestion.
Benefits Of Vitamin C In Sauerkraut
Sailors of the old days made sure that they always carried sauerkraut with them because of its high vitamin C content. It was an essential part of every cruise. It was an effective prevention against scurvy that has long been known to be caused due to deficiency of the vitamin.
Sauerkraut Is A Probiotic
Sauerkraut contains probiotic benefits from the processing of sour. Natural fermentation from these vegetables provides good bacteria that will support the digestive system. It’s best if you consume it after taking any medications. This will assist in restoring healthy bacteria into the intestines.
Protection Against Cancer
Sauerkraut is a great food that can help prevent cancer from forming. Its can do this by the three main ingredients it contains.
Isothiocyanate: This property has been well known and contains anti cancerous benefits.
Glucosinolate: This compound in sauerkraut will help activate natural antioxidant enzymes in one’s body
Flavonoids: This factor forms a guard around the arteries that prevent any damages or narrowing down.
Healthier & Stronger Heart
Sauerkraut is loaded with fibers, which help in improving digestion. This further helps in improving the health of brain and heart. Other health benefits of the fiber include:
- Controlling bad (LDL) cholesterol levels
- Reducing chances of heart attack or stroke
- Reducing likeliness of arteriosclerosis
Sauerkraut For Stronger Bones
This mixture contains a lot of rich minerals that will help your bones become stronger. It can help prevent osteoporosis in the future. The vitamin K in this recipes will keep your bone healthier as well. This vitamin performs by balancing out the production of proteins. These proteins duty is to maintain mineralization in the bones.
Sauerkraut for weight loss
According to many studies when a person eats more fermented foods like sauerkraut it can help with weight loss, especially around the hips. By consuming fermented food you will boost your metabolism and get rid of any toxins that are in your body. Conclusions from this study recommend that sauerkraut has a positive affect on people, who are obese, have lipid metabolism and inflammation.
Make your own Sauerkraut
Food pasteurization laws as well as the canning process means that most sauerkraut on store shelves has been heated to the point where its beneficial bacteria is killed off. The good news is, making your own sauerkraut is actually quite simple –not to mention budget friendly!
Serves: 1 gallon
Prep time: 20 minutes
Fermentation time: ~1 – 6 months
- a couple large, green cabbages
- 2 Tbsp unrefined sea salt
- Core your cabbages and shred the rest into a food processor.
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage and salt together. You will need to “knead” them together with your hands to break up the cellular structure of the cabbage.
- The cabbage will begin to release its juices and become limp. This is when you will need to pack it as tightly as possible into a sauerkraut crock or vegetable fermenter. If you don’t have one, you can simply pack it tightly into a large glass jar, pounding it down with a wooden spoon.
- Continue pounding until the cabbage becomes submersed in liquid. This is very important as real key to preparing any fermented food, is that the solid materials rest below the liquid. Fermentation is an anaerobic process and to expose your ferments to air increases the likelihood that they’ll become contaminated by stray microbes, yeasts and molds.
- Cover loosely and let your ‘kraut sit at room temperature to begin its fermentation process. It can sit for at least 1 month and up to 6, depending on how you like it.
- Test the sauerkraut every few days, and once it’s to your liking transfer it to the fridge where it will keep for at least 6 months. If scum appears on the top, simply spoon off the top what you can.
We really hope you enjoyed this article and don’t forget to share it with your friends and family. Thank You.