People have always been asking one question — what causes someone to become left handed? Even though the medical experts do not have the exact answer, research points to a complex relation between genes and environment.
People who dominantly use their left hands have more left-handed family members, even though there is no exact proof of ‘leftie genes’. It is also important to point out that lefties have different brain writings compared to righties.
Since the left-handed people spent their whole lives adapting to this right handed world, they tend to be more independent.
We will have to try and learn more about left handed people .You have never heard of these 23 interesting facts about left handed people:
- 10% of the world population is left handed.
- You have bigger chance of becoming an alcoholic if you are left handed.
- Most of the time, people who use their left hand, use their right side of the brain.
- It is also known that the left handed people tend to reach puberty 5 months later than normal.
- If you want to become a good sportiest you definitely need to be left handed since they are known to be good in sports such as baseball, tennis, swimming, boxing, etc. One of the most interesting facts is that more than 40% of the top tennis players in the world are left handed.
- Four, out of seven, recent presidents of the United States were left handed.
- According to statistics, compared to the right handed colleagues, the left handed college graduates go on to become 26% richer.
- In the past, left handed people were related to many bad things such as mark of the devil, a sign of neurosis, nasty habit, rebellion, criminality and homosexuality. However, they were also seen as more creative and more musically talented.
- The word ‘left’ in English actually comes from the Anglo-Saxon word lyft that means weak or broken.
- Compared to the pregnant women in their 20s, women who are pregnant in their 40s are 128% more likely to have a heft-handed baby.
- We mentioned before that almost 90% of all humans are right handed. However, that is not the case with cats, rats and mice since they are equally split between right and left pawedness.
- According to a recent study, left handed people are more talented in spiritual awareness, math and architecture. On the other hand, right handed people are more talented verbally.
- Another interesting fact is that one of the four Apollo astronauts was left handed.
- According to statistics, almost 30 million people in the United States use their left hand.
- According to a recent study, right handed people are less prone to allergies and asthma than left handed people.
- A research that was conducted by medical experts showed that it is easier for left handed people to learn how to use the other hand if their dominant hand is injured.
- The longest words that can be typed using only the left hand with conventional hand placement are sweater, dress and tesserae decades.
- We have a proof that left handedness runs in the family. There are a lot of left handed members in the British Royal Family including the Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles and Prince William.
- If you are left handed, you are more prone to suffer from insomnia.
- We have an International Left Handed Day which can be celebrated on August 13th.
- Some of the most wanted and dangerous murderers are left handed. For example: Osama Bin Laden, The Boston Strangles and Jack the Ripper.
- Right handed people are not able to see underwater better than left handed people. When they play games like Marco Polo, left handed people have advantage.
- According to a study that was published in the Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, left handed people process emotions in a different way. Right handed people do not tend to get angry as fast as the left handed people. A good example for this is John McEnroe since he is left handed and obviously very angry.
We hope that we provided you with interesting facts. However, if you know some other interesting facts about left handed people, please comment below. We hope that you found this article entertaining.