Do you know what gelatin is? Gelatin is a translucent, colorless, brittle (when dry) and flavorless food derived from collagen obtained from various animal raw materials. It is used as a gelling agent in food, in pharmaceutical drugs, photography and cosmetics. Gelatin contains two amino acids called glycine and proline which a lot of people are deficient in as they are found in animal parts we rarely consume (bones, fibrous tissues and organs). These amino acids are very important for the proper health of your skin and hair, as well as for your nails and for maintaining healthy weight. Glycine is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent which can accelerate wound healing and improve your sleep.
Why is jello the most popular hospital food?
Just like broth, tea and water, jello is considered a clear liquid which is easy to digest. This is the main reason why it’s given to patients in hospitals. Their bodies can’t digest normal meals, but they still need calories and sugar, and jello has them both. Jello is also recommended for people on a liquid diet.
Gelatin will stimulate gastric acid secretion in your body, effectively improving your digestion and the health of your gut. It will also absorb water from your body and keep a normal level of fluids in the digestive tract which should promote health bowel movements and prevent digestive problems.
Here are the top health benefits of gelatin:
- Full of protein – gelatin contains 6 gr. of protein per tablespoons, which is why you should add it to your diet;
- It can cure food allergies and sensitives and heal the lining of the digestive tract;
- Gelatin will improve your digestion by binding to water and helping food move through the intestinal tract easily;
- Gelatin will improve the quality of your hair, skin and nails thanks to the keratin content. Keratin is an important protein found in the hair, teeth, nails and skin;
- Gelatin is great for your connective tissues and will improve their overall health;
- Gelatin will detoxify your body – the glycine present in it can assist the liver in removing toxins from our body;
- Gelatin will improve the quality of your skin. It is essentially a cooked-down version of collagen which can make your skin look and feel better than any commercial product;
- Gelatin accelerates wound healing thanks to the anti-inflammatory properties of glycine;
- According to a study, gelatin can improve your sleep. The study found that people who consume glycine regularly had better cognitive functions and reported far less daytime drowsiness;
- Gelatin will boost your metabolism and stimulate production of the Human Growth Hormone, effectively helping you to lose weight.
Here’s how to prepare a delicious homemade jello:
3 tablespoons of gelatin (unflavored)
1 cup of fresh orange juice
1 cup of grape juice
1 cup of green tea
Some honey or stevia
Brew a cup of green tea, then add the honey or stevia. Next, add the gelatin and mix well until it dissolves, then simmer the mixture on low heat for a couple of minutes more. Leave it to cool down afterwards, then add the grape and orange juice. Pour the mixture in a container and leave it in the fridge for 3 hours, then enjoy your delicious homemade jello.