We all have plants in our homes and they are good decorations. The plants can purify the air, bring positive energy, they look nice, etc. But, you should be very careful, because there are many different dangerous plants, which are loaded with toxic chemicals.
In this article we are going to talk about a very common plant that many people around the world have it in their homes. We are talking about Dieffenbachia or (to use its common name) Dumb Cane. Dumb Cane has a bad reputation. It will kill your children, it will commit murder most foul and its even been known to burn down houses!
Esteban, a 5-year-old boy was playing around the house and suddenly, he began experiencing severe stomach pain. So, his parents thought it’s just a regular stomach pain, because Esteban ate too many sweets. But, after some time, he experienced even stronger pain, so his parents took him to the hospital. The doctors discovered that their son suffered a heavy poisoning.
The 5-year-old child was treated immediately, for more than 3 hours. But, unfortunately, the doctor told the parents that their son suffered and attack of anaphylactic shock. Anaphylaxis is a severe, life-threatening allergic reaction Anaphylaxis requires an immediate trip to the emergency department and an injection of epinephrine. If anaphylaxis isn’t treated right away, it can lead to unconsciousness or even death.
You should know that the cells of these plant contain needle-shaped calcium oxalate crystals, called raphides. Some experts think that the toxicity is due to its content in proteolytic enzymes that propitiate the histamine production. If a leaf is chewed, these crystals can cause a temporary burning sensation and erythema. In rare cases, edema of tissues exposed to the plant has been reported. Mastication and ingestion generally result in only mild symptoms.
With both children and pets, contact with dieffenbachia (typically from chewing) can cause a host of unpleasant symptoms, including intense numbing, oral irritation, excessive drooling, and localized swelling.In most cases, symptoms are mild, and can be successfully treated with analgesic agents, antihistamines, or medical charcoal. Gastric evacuation or lavage is “seldom” indicated. In patients with exposure to toxic plants, 70% are children younger than 5 years.
Source : tophealthylifeadvices