Tilapia is one of the most favorite fish nowadays. It cannot be overcooked, has no bones and skin and is very cheap unlike the other fish in the market.
However, this fish is not found in the wild. It is only produced in artificial fish farms. Thousands of this fish is harvested daily in the fish industry. The natural food of algae and lake plants is replaced by GMO soy and corn. The most important ingredient in fish – fish oil, cannot be found in this fish.
Reasons why tilapia is not good for your health
1. This fish is very popular because of its availability and inexpensiveness. However, you must learn everything that can be possibly known about this fish before consuming it.
The consumption of this fish can increase the inflammations that are going on in the body. The increased inflammations can lead to heart problems, asthma and many other serious diseases. The consumption of this fish is worse than eating bacon or a hamburger. We eat fish in order to consume omega-3 fatty acids that decrease the risks of having a heart attack, but this fish does the opposite – it increases the chances of having a heart attack.
2. Consuming farmed tilapia increase the risks of developing cancer by 10 times because it contains pollutants. The dangerous ingredients in these fish are often added with their feed. Actually, the feed that is given to farm raised fish contains chicken feces. Pig and duck feces are also one of the major feeds for farm fish.
3. Tilapia also contains high amounts of pesticides and antibiotics. Farm owners give the fish antibiotics to protect them from diseases which can be easily spread since the farms are too crowded with fish. Pesticides are given to farm fish against sea lice, and this pesticide can even kill wild salmon if it consumes the pesticide accidentally.
4. The healthy nutrients that are commonly found in fish are very low in farm bred fish. Omega-3 fatty acids in tilapia are much less useful to our body than omega-3 fatty acids that are found in wild fish varieties. Tilapia and other farm bred fish also contain less protein than other wild fish varieties. Moreover, farm fish contain more omega-6 acids, acids that can cause inflammation in the body if consumed in high doses.
5. Health problems and especially cancer are caused by a dangerous toxin called dioxin. This dangerous chemical is found in farm fish. It is very difficult to cleanse our body from dioxin after it enters. It can stay in the body even for 11 years.